You are creative, there’s no doubt about it.
But you might not be as creative as you could ultimately be. In‒fact: everyone always has the ability to grow their creative potential, all it takes is a little guidance. Which is what I want to talk with you about today. You can always be more creative.
But how can you be more creative today, right now?
Here are a few tips I’ve come to learn about that can make anyone more creative today. Read through them, use them if you need to, and post any tips you have on how a person can be more creative in the comments!
- Be fearless. Fear restricts thought. If you are afraid to do something, if you are afraid to think in a new way, or if you are afraid to be fearless, your creativity is restricted to your fears. So be fearless today by doing something that typically scares you. Do something fearless every single day, starting right now.
- Ask a lot of questions. There is an ancient Chinese proverb that states: “One who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; one who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.” Don’t be a fool forever, ask questions. Ask a lot of questions, often.
- Have a positive outlook. Every creative genius that has ever lived has typically had a positive outlook when it comes to problems they encounter. Instead of thinking how horrible a situation is (or could be), think of how you can learn from it, how it can motivate you to change, and how many different ways the situation could change. Try to view everything as a positive opportunity.
- Settle on several ideas, not just one. Edward De Bono has been quoted saying: “It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.” He couldn’t have been more right.
- Imagine yourself being more creative. The easiest ‒ and most beneficial ‒ way to become more creative right now is simply to think that you are. Start thinking you’re more creative right now, and by the end of they day you’ll find yourself being more creative than you were.
- Be open to changing your opinions. Seeing the world through perspectives that are not your own (even if you don’t initially agree with them) is a great way to become more creative. The more opinions you investigate about something, the more you’ll know about the world. True story.
- Write down everything. Your brain can hold a lot of data (remember your 16th birthday party?) but it won’t hold all of your ideas. So get in the habit of writing everything down. Someday you’ll need to use an old idea, and if you’ve written it down it would be easy to find.
- Create something new, every day. Being creative is all about creating. So try to create something never every day. You don’t have to create a solution to the world hunger problem, you don’t even have to create something revolutionary, or big, or inspiring, or life changing. Just create something that is new to you.
- Set creative goals. Goals are great for motivation. Create creativity goals that you can aim for every week. Whether it’s creating something, reading an inspiring book, or experiencing a certain number of new things. Set creative goals, and try your hardest to reach them.
- Live for feedback. Another easy way to be more creative right now is to live for feedback. Strive to get other’s feedback on anything you do, and listen to what they tell you. Learn from your feedback and then request more, it’s an easy way to grow.
So those are some of my tips for how to get more creative today, do you have any to share?